Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival
The national award winning Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival will celebrate its 52nd Anniversary on May 21, 2022!
This family oriented event is a celebration of African and African American history, culture, arts, and traditions. Visit the Bimbé History page for information on how the festival has evolved throughout the years.
Visit the Bimbé Weekday Events page for information on all of the events happening May 18-20.
52nd Annual Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival
Saturday, May 21, 2022
1 p.m.-7 p.m.
Rock Quarry Park, 701 Stadium Drive
Free | All Ages
Enjoy a day filled with:
- Live Music
- Family Fun Zone
- Arts and Crafts
- Community Resources
- Ethnic Food
- Local Talent
Seating will not be provided, please bring a lawn chair or blanket.
In partnership with Durham Parks and Recreation,
the 52nd Annual Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival is presented by:
Grand Re-Opening Celebration and Ribbon Cutting for Rock Quarry Park
Salute to Elders Parade and Dance Presentation - African American Dance Ensemble
|1:45 p.m.||Kiing Le & Iconic Truth Band|
|2:45 p.m.||Bimbé History Lesson|
|4 p.m.||Hometown Heroes Presentation
Theta Phi Delta Step Team
Hometown Heroes Presentation
|4:30 p.m.||The Mint Condition Tribute Show Band|
|5:30 p.m.||DJ Medley|
|6 p.m.||Headliner Performance - Sunshine Anderson and Mario|
The 52nd Annual Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival will be hosted by K97.5's Brian Dawson.
Family Fun Zone
The Family Fun Zone will celebrate the spirit of African community, engaging kids of ALL ages to bring out the “Kuumba,” (koo-OOM-bah) or creativity, within each of them. Join us for a fun-filled day exploring African cultural traditions! The Family Fun Zone will include:
- Drum Circles
- Arts & Crafts
- Face Painting
Durham boasts many great leaders, influencers, and role models. People who have helped shape our community and have touched the lives of many. It's time to celebrate a few of these Hometown Heroes and their accomplishments! Read more about the 2022 Hometown Heroes.
Book Giveaway and Registration
The Durham County Library will be on site with their awesome Bookmobile. Participants can take advantage of this mobile service, where they can register for a library card and even receive a free book!
Bring your own water bottle
Don’t forget to bring your refillable water bottle! The Durham H2O 2 Go Hydration Station will be on site offering fresh drinking water to event attendees.
Free parking will be available in the Durham County Stadium parking lots, located at 750 Stadium Drive across from Rock Quarry Park. New this year - the parking lot will only be accessible via Wisteria Avenue and Stadium Drive will be closed to thru traffic. Download a Bimbé Traffic Map (PDF).
- Handicap will be available in the Durham National Guard Armory Parking Lot, located at 801 Stadium Drive, as space permits. First come, first serve.
- Please carpool and arrive early! Taking public transportation is encouraged, please see information below about taking Go Durham to the Festival.
Take the Bus to Bimbé
There are two bus stops near Rock Quarry Park where Bimbé will be held! Don't worry about traffic and finding a parking spot, jump on the bus for a hassle free ride.
Bus Stops Closest to the Bimbé Festival Site
Route 4 (N Roxboro/Durham Regional/North Duke Crossing:
Runs every 30 minutes on Saturdays from 6 a.m.-7 p.m. It then runs every hour from 7 p.m.-midnight.
- Olympic Avenue at Roxboro oad (Stop ID #6067): This stop is along the outbound (from Durham Station) route 4 only. It is located on Olympic Avenue, just before the entrance to Duke Regional Hospital.
- Duke Regional Hospital (Stop ID #5105): This stop is located on the perimeter road inside Duke Regional Hospital. The stop is along the outbound (from Durham Station) route 4 only. There is a shelter at this location.
- Roxboro Road at Duke Regional Hospital (Stop ID #6155): This stop is located on Roxboro Road, just south of Crutchfield St. It is along the inbound (to Durham Station) route 4.
Route 9A (Dearborn Dr/Durham Regional/Riverside HS):
Route 9A runs every hour from 6 a.m.-midnight. Please note: after 7 p.m., it is simply route 9, but the same stops apply as the day time.
- Roxboro Road at Duke Regional Hospital (Stop ID #6155): This stop is located on Roxboro Road, just south of Crutchfield Street. It is along the outbound route 9A only.
- Olympic Avenue at Roxboro Road (Stop ID #6067): This stop is along the outbound (from Durham Station) route 9A only. It is located on Olympic Avenue, just before the entrance to Duke Regional Hospital.
- Duke Regional Hospital (Stop ID #5105): This stop is located on the perimeter road inside Duke Regional Hospital. The stop is along the outbound (from Durham Station) route 9A. There is a shelter at this location.
- Duke Regional Hospital (Stop ID #6095): This stop is located on the perimeter road inside Duke Regional Hospital. The stop is along the inbound (to Durham Station) route 9A. There is a shelter at this location, and it is located directly across the street from the outbound stop (ID #5105).
- Olympic Avenue at Roxboro Road (Stop ID #5451): This stop is along the inbound (to Durham Station) route 9A only. It is located on Olympic Avenue, across the street from the outbound stop (ID #6067).
Route maps/schedules for the aforementioned routes can be found on the Go Durham site. When you visit the individual page for each route, you can view the PDF map/schedule or look at real-time information for the route. You can also view the real-time information of the routes using the TransLoc system by:
- Viewing TransLoc online
- Using the TransLoc Rider App. Available at the iTunes and Google Play stores (free download)
- Each bus stop has information that instructs passengers on how to receive real-time arrival information via text message.
Trips Planning Assistance
Passengers can call the Regional Call Center at 919-485-7433 (RIDE) for information/trip planning assistance on all transit services in the Triangle. For the “tech-savvy” people, they can plan their trip using Google Maps or using the planner on the Go Durham homepage.
All vendor spots have been filled for the Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival. If you have any questions, contact Kristin Perez, Special Events Coordinator, at 919-560-4355 or by email.
Learn more about our Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival volunteer opportunities through ivolunteer.
Event Cancellation Information
Events may be canceled in the case of severe inclement weather.
- Call the weather line at 919-560-4636 and press Number 8 for the status of the event.
- Visit Facebook and / or Twitter
For event information, email Kristin Perez or call 919-560-4355.