Special Use Facility Rentals
Whether you are planning a wedding, family reunion or meeting, DPR has the facilities for you.
For availability, complete a Special Use Facility Rental Request Form or contact our reservations specialist via email, 919-560-4355, ext. 27202 or visit our administration office located at 400 Cleveland Street, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Recreation Center Rentals
DPR offers rentals at a number of our recreation centers. Visit our recreation center rentals page to learn more about our centers that offer rental opportunities.
- Facilities are available for rental subject to schedules of pre-existing programs, events, classes and/or other activities. DPR reserves the right to deny any application.
- Once a request is made for use of a facility, a 10 day hold will be placed on the proposed date(s) of use. On or before the 10th day DPR must receive the required application fee and the security deposit. If payment is not received the date will be reopened to the public without notice to the requesting parties.
- All other payments are due no later than 45 days prior to the requested date. If payment is not received by that date, the rental will be cancelled and the deposit and any fees paid will be retained.
- Renters may change application for permit information (i.e. times, estimated attendance, etc.) up to 21 days prior to requested date. At 21 days prior to requested date, information provided on the application for permit will become binding; and must be accurate.
- Renters must provide accurate contact information including: address and a day-of contact phone number.
- All fees and deposits will not be refunded for cancellations within 45 days prior to rental. All application fees are non-refundable.
- Setup and dismantle must be included in your rental hours. No extra time will be allotted.
- Setup, dismantle and storage of equipment and supplies on days other than the event date constitutes use of the building and stated rates apply. If you need set-up or dismantle time before or after building hours you must rent the building on the day prior to and/or after the event.
- Renters must be at least 21 years of age. There must be one adult age 21 or over, per each 10 minors under the age of 21.
- Police Security is required for all teen events, public dances, events with ticket sales or charging an entrance fee, when serving alcohol and events with over 100 people in attendance. Renters must contact Officer Jason Evans with the Durham Police Department at 336-601-0295 to arrange security.
- Renter may not sublet the space to another group or individual.
- Renters charging admission/selling tickets to event must pay the associated fee.
Rules for the Use / Sale of Alcohol
Spirituous liquor is not permitted at the McCown-Mangum House. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at any picnic shelter, campsite or neighborhood or recreation center. The following rules apply if you intend to provide alcoholic beverages at an event at the Durham Armory, Spruce Pine Lodge or the McCown-Mangum House.
- "Alcoholic Beverage" is defined as champagne, beer, wine (fortified and unfortified) or spirituous liquor.
- Renters must complete a DPR alcohol application and pay all related fees to serve alcoholic beverages. The DPR alcohol application fee is $50.
- An Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) "Limited Special Occasion" permit must be obtained in order to serve fortified wine and spirituous liquor. The permit may be secured from the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (NCABCC). The permit fee is $50 and must be paid to the NCABCC.
- An Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) "Special One-Time Permit for the Sale of Alcoholic Beverages" must be obtained in order to sell alcoholic beverages. The permit may be secured from the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission. A special event permit must be authorized by DPR for any event where alcohol will be sold.
- Renters are required by the City to request and pay for security provided by the City of Durham Police Department during the event. Security requirements will be determined based on the location, size and type of event.
- Renters must provide a certificate of liability insurance to Durham Parks and Recreation reservations office no later than 15 business days prior to the event. (This insurance should show general liability insurance with an alcohol/liquor rider for at least $1,000,000, also naming the City of Durham as an additional insured.) If this is not turned in on time alcohol will not be able to be served at the event.
- It is unlawful to serve alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21.