Kick off the holiday season at the Durham Holiday Parade!
Cheer on dynamic floats, hometown bands, drill teams, schools, and community groups as they make their way down Main Street at the Durham Holiday Parade. The procession will conclude with a guest appearance from Santa.
Saturday, December 17, 2022
Downtown Durham - Main Street
Rain or Shine
Seating will not be provided. Spectators are encouraged to bring their own chairs and blankets.
Parade Route & Map
The parade will start at the Health Department (Main and Dillard Streets) and end near Duke University East Campus (Main Street and Buchanan Boulevard).
The safety of parade participants, volunteers, and spectators are DPR’s top priority. The safety measures below are in place to make sure everyone stays safe and has fun!
- Volunteers, staff, and public safety personnel are stationed along route to keep everyone safe and help assist with the spacing and pacing of the parade.
- (New this year) Participants walking in the parade will not be placed directly in front of floats in parade lineup.
- (New this year) Vehicle groups will be placed in front of all floats in the line up.
- The number of participating vehicle groups is limited.
- All participants must acknowledge and agree to safety guidelines prior to the event.
- Volunteers and participants are required to attend a mandatory pre-event meeting at which safety information is reiterated.
Vehicle Safety Measures
- All floats are pulled by qualified City employees in City of Durham vehicles.
- (New this year) All City Park vehicles participating in the parade, including those pulling floats, will be inspected within 7 days prior to the event date.
- Participating drivers must agree and adhere to the following:
- Possess a valid driver’s license and possess all liability vehicle insurance.
- All vehicles participating, including motorcycles, are prohibited from performing burnouts, revving engines, or participating in any other reckless or negligent driving. All wheels must remain on the ground at all times.
We'll post any additional enhancements to our safety measures here!
Check back on Friday, December 9 for the list of organizations participating in the 2022 Holiday Parade.
Parade Performance Areas
Designated performance areas will be located near the following intersections: Mangum and Main streets, Chapel Hill and Main streets, and Duke and Main streets.
Temporary restroom stations will be located near the following intersections: S. Elizabeth/Commerce and Main streets, Chapel Hill and Main streets, and Duke and Main streets.
Parade Marshal & Emcee
More information coming soon!
Parade Participants: FULL
Parade participant registration is closed. Parade units are now full.
All applications will be reviewed after the deadline on Monday, November 7 and notified of their status by Friday, November 11. If your application is accepted, you will be billed and have 3 business days to pay.
If you enroll after Monday, November 7 you will be placed on the waiting list and staff will review your application and notify you upon acceptance as space allows.
Instructions to apply:
1. Enroll online. Visit ActiveNet to register for any of the following parade units:
2. You will be required to create an account if you do not already have one.
3. Answer all questions and submit your enrollment.
4. Keep a transaction receipt or your records.
|Parade Unit Fees|
|General Unit Resident||$75|
|General Unit Non-Resident||$90|
|School Marching Band||$0|
Float Rentals: SOLD OUT
|Float Rental Fees|
|City Resident||$750 - SOLD OUT|
|Non-City Resident||$775 - SOLD OUT|
Rain Procedure: Please be prepared in the case of rain, snow, or other inclement weather. In the case of a weather event, the festival coordinator will consider and determine suspension or cancellation of any part or the entire event. You should not leave the parade area before the festival coordinator announces suspension or cancellation of the event. If you choose to leave before an official suspension or cancellation is made by the festival coordinator, no refund of event fees will be returned to the organization.
Refunds: No deposit and rental fees will be refunded for cancellations less than 30 calendar days prior to the proposed date of the event. Exceptions include when the cancellation is a result of an act of nature or the event is cancelled by DPR due to unforeseen circumstances. Please allow two to four weeks for processing. All refunds will be mailed to the individual, business, or organization's address on the application.