Durham Senior Games
2020 Durham Senior Games
April 13-April 30, 2020
This Olympic style event is designed to create a year-round health promotion and competition for participants that are 50+ years old. Participants will compete in a wide range of events including literary and visual arts, croquet, table tennis, basketball, swimming, cycling, track and field and more!
This program is sanctioned by North Carolina Senior Games, Inc. (NCSG) and is sponsored statewide by the North Carolina Division of Aging. It offers:
- A year round wellness program for persons 50 years and better that began in 1983
- Opportunities for participating in sports, arts and social activities
- A chance to make new friends and renew old friendships
Registration Dates & Entry Fees
Please note, registration fees do not include golf or bowling.
February 3-February 28, 2020 - Early Bird Registration (save $2)
City Resident: $12 | Non-City Resident: $17
February 29-March 20, 2020
City Resident: $14 | Non-City Resident: $19
A discounted rate of 10% will be given to individuals with a Play More Card.
Entry fees include a DSG t-shirt and entry into all events except for the additional fees necessary for golf and bowling. T-shirt pickup will be Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at the Durham Center for Senior Life and Thursday, April 9, 2020 at Walltown Park Recreation Center from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
How to Register
Please check back soon for details.
Visit one of our recreation centers or our administration office (400 Cleveland Street) to register in person.
To obtain a copy of the Official Entry Form, please email Bridgette Robinson. Checks can be made payable to: The City of Durham.
Attention: Durham Senior Games
Durham Parks and Recreation
101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27701
If you are mailing in a form, DSG must receive your postmarked Official Entry Form by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 20, 2020. The deadline is strictly enforced in fairness to all participants. Late entries will be returned if received after March 20, 2020. There are no exceptions.
The final date to make any changes to your registration will be Friday, March 20, 2020 by noon. After that date, no changes will be made to the sporting events, SilverArts entries, or Performing Arts. If you are participating in a partner event, be sure to secure your partner prior to the deadline. No changes will be made to partner events once this deadline closes.
Confirmation of registration will be sent out weekly beginning Friday, February 14, 2020. Please take the time to carefully review the DSG confirmation that you receive in the mail. If you find any errors, you must contact Bridgette Robinson at 919-560-4355 or Michael Honeycutt at 919-560-4296.
If you have not received your letter by Friday, April 3, 2020, please contact the DSG staff at 919-560-4355, ext. 27232.
DSG officials reserve the right to cancel any event or combine age groups due to insufficient registration.
To participate in the DSG you must be 50 years of age or better on or before December 31, 2020. Proof of age may be required upon request. Participants must be a Durham County residents for a minimum of 3 consecutive months of the year. All team/doubles events and SilverArts are open to individuals outside of Durham, however, at least 50% of the group/team must be a resident of Durham County.
For sporting events, men and women compete in separate categories in age brackets 55-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, and 100+ based on age as of December 31, 2020. SilverArts competitors are not divided into categories based on age or gender.
In the doubles/team events the age of the youngest player is used to determine the age group for competition. No substitute partners are allowed on event day. You must compete with the partner indicated on your official entry form or email Bridgette Robinson or email Michael Honeycutt by Friday, March 20, 2020 by noon.
Please visit the SilverArts page for eligibility details for Heritage Arts, Literary Arts, Visual Arts, and Performing Arts.
Calendar of Events
- Medals are awarded to the first, second, and third place finalists by division for all events except the SilverStriders Fun Walk.
- Winning a gold, silver, or bronze medal in sanctioned athletic events will qualify you to represent the DSG at the NC Senior Games (NCSG) State Finals competition.
- For Visual and Heritage Arts, winning first, second, or third place will qualify you to represent the DSG at the State Finals.
- First and second place winners in Literary Arts will be eligible for the State Finals.
- The performance act awarded “Best in Show” will be eligible to qualify for the State Finals.
- DSG will not release awards to anyone other than the winning participant.
- Persons who qualify for State Finals will receive their confirmation and NCSG registration info by June 1, 2020 in the mail. Persons wishing to compete at State Finals must submit their entry to NCSG by August 1, 2020.
- DSG staff will not arrange or locate a partner for you for any of the partner events. You are responsible for obtaining your own partner.
- All registrants for all events must arrive for check-in 15 minutes prior to the start of each event. Registrants must present a photo I.D. at the time of check-in. No events will be delayed for latecomers. Event start time is forfeit time and refunds will not be granted for no-shows or latecomers.
- The safety and sportsmanlike conduct of everyone is of paramount concern. DSG officials have the authority to disqualify, and/or remove from current and future DSG programs anyone who exhibits inappropriate behavior or a condition of medical concern.
DSG officials reserve the right to cancel or postpone events due to inclement weather or any unusual or extenuating circumstance. There will be no refunds for cancelled or postponed events. We have set rain dates for most events, and will make every effort to follow the established DSG schedule. Come prepared for all types of weather. Call 919-560-4636 #8 during the DSG for a recording of any schedule updates.
The DSG are coordinated by Durham Parks and Recreation in partnership with Humana, Durham Center for Senior Life, NC Cooperative Extension, RSVP, YMCA, and Durham Arts Council.
For more information on the DSG, email Bridgette Robinson or call 919-560-4355, ext. 27232.