- PARKS & FACILITIES
- Construction Projects and Maintenance
- Splash & Play Project
- Splash & Play Public Engagement
Splash & Play Public Engagement
Phase 1 Engagement
(List of past events below)
This first phase of engagement focused on the ‘ask’ of the community in gathering data related to what issues and concerns they have about the existing sites, what aquatic or recreation opportunities they would most desire or benefit from, and other issues to be identified that would make this project a success for the community. A number of methods are used to engage with the community including this project webpage, community conversations and workshops, and pop-up engagement at community events and DPR programs.
Phase 1.5 Engagement
In July, the Splash and Play Core Team guiding the project decided that there still was a need for engagement focused on the communities surrounding both East End and Long Meadow Parks. This interim phase occurred Summer 2022 and included:
- Engagement with churches within 1-mile of the park sites.
- Direct engagement directly at the Long Meadow Park pool site to engage users.
- A site-specific survey requesting more precise residence location (cross-streets).
- Posts through the City of Durham's Nextdoor profile to share project updates and the site-specific survey targeted toward neighborhoods in the vicinity of East End and Long Meadow Parks.
Phase 2 Engagement
(List of past events below)
Through this Fall, the community will be asked to comment on conceptual designs for the three park sites which include Wheels Fun Park. Engagement will be conducted through October and November, and will have:
- On-site public meetings and workshops.
- Wheels Roller Skating Rink Residents Committee.
- Continued communication with PACs and all who signed up in earlier phases to stay involved and informed.
- Tabling at existing programs at all three park sites.
- Outreach to Durham Housing Authority (DHA) neighborhoods.
- Virtual or in-person youth session(s) with persons referred by OOY, the Residents Committee, and other entities working with young people.
- Mailers sent to targeted neighborhoods close to the project sites.
Phase 2 Design Concepts
- Preliminary Design Concepts of former Wheels Fun Park Site (September 2022) - Based on Phase 1 Public Engagement and presented during Phase 2 public engagement (Fall 2022) for community input.
- Bubble Diagrams for East End Park and Long Meadow Park (September 2022) - Based on Phase 1 Public Engagement. These concepts show features and ideas that could fit in areas of the parks.
- Outdoor skate park alternative at former Wheels Fun Park site, in lieu of parking (no impact to roller skating rink or aquatic design elements).
|Merrick-Moore CDC Meeting||March 10, 2022||7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
|PAC 1 Meeting||March 19, 2022||10:00 a.m. - Noon||Holton Career & Resource Center, 401 N. Driver Street|
|Durham Inter-Neighborhood Council||March 22, 2022||7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
|Merrick-Moore Elementary School Multicultural Festival||March 24, 2022||4 p.m. - 7 p.m.||Merrick-Moore Elementary School, 2325 Cheek Road|
|Campus Hills Egg Hunt||April 9, 2022||10 a.m. - 12 p.m.||I.R. Holmes, Sr. Recreation Center at Campus Hills, 2000 S Alston Avenue|
|East End Park Youth Football Practice||April 9, 2022||Noon - 1:00 p.m.||East End Park, 1200 N. Alston Avenue|
|Earth Day Festival||April 24, 2022||12 p.m. - 5 p.m.||Durham Central Park, 501 Foster Street|
|Swim Lessons||April 27, 2022||4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.||Edison Johnson Aquatic Center, 500 W Murray Avenue|
|Holloway Street Live!||April 30, 2022||11 a.m. - 3 p.m.||1100 N Miami Boulevard|
|Mature Adult Open Gym||May 3, 2022||5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.||W.D. Hill Recreation Center, 1308 Fayetteville Street|
|Salvation Army Food Distribution||May 13, 2022||10 a.m. - 12 p.m.||The Salvation Army, 810 N Alston Avenue|
|Young Male Achievers Banquet||May 14, 2022||5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
|Durham Green Flea Market||May 15, 2022||11 a.m. - 2 p.m.||1100 E Pettigrew Street|
|PAC1 Town Hall||May 17, 2022||6 p.m. - 8 p.m.||Holton Career & Resource Center, 401 N Driver Street|
|Bimbe Community Block Party||May 18, 2022||6 p.m. - 8 p.m.||Holton Career & Resource Center, 401 N Driver Street|
|Fayetteville Street Live!||May 20, 2022||6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.||Hayti Heritage Center, 804 Old Fayetteville Street|
|Bimbe Teen Pool Party||May 20, 2022||7:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.||Campus Hills Pool, 2000 S Alston Avenue|
|Long Meadow Open House||May 26, 2022||4 p.m. - 7 p.m.||Long Meadow Park and Pool, 917 Liberty Street|
|Merrick-Moore Park Grand Opening||June 18, 2022||10:00 a.m. - Noon||Merrick-Moore Park, 632 N. Hoover Road|
|Long Meadow Park Pool||July 23, 2022||3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Long Meadow Park and Pool, 917 Liberty Street|
|Long Meadow Park Pool||August 12, 2022||1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Long Meadow Park and Pool, 917 Liberty Street|
|Hillside Park Pool||August 12- August 14, 2022||1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Hillside Pool, 1221 Sawyer Street|
|Community Conversation||September 15, 2022||6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.||Holton Career and Resource Center, 401 N. Driver Street|
|Live! from the FSC: 3rd Friday Hayti||September 16, 2022||6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.||W.D. Hill Recreation Center, 1308 Fayetteville Street|
|PAC 4/5 Meeting||October 8, 2022||10:00 a.m. - Noon||I.R. Holmes Sr. Recreation Center, 2000 S. Alston Avenue|
|Community Workshop: Wheels Fun Park Site||October 13, 2022||5:30 - 7:30 p.m.||Former Wheels Fun Park site, 715 N. Hoover Road|
|Community Workshop: East End & Long Meadow Parks||November 3, 2022||5:30 - 7:30 p.m.||W.D. Hill Recreation Center, 1308 Fayetteville Street|