When do I need security or police presence at my event?

The need for security and other police services will be determined and enforced by the City of Durham Police Department for all events. (Depending on the size and nature of the event, police services may include security, traffic control, parking direction, route layout, etc.) 

For events on public property at which any type of alcohol will be served, Event Coordinators are required to hire off-duty law enforcement officers (e.g., Durham Police Department officers, Durham County Sheriff’s deputies, etc.) as event security. If you choose to hire Durham Police Department officers for your event, you are responsible for contacting the City of Durham Police Department Secondary Employment Coordinator at (919) 560-4322, ext. 29183 to schedule the officers for your event. Fees are due by cash or check within 15 days of the event. More information is available on the City’s website at https://durhamnc.gov/190/Secondary-Employment-Information. 

In the event of cancellation, it is the Event Coordinator's responsibility to cancel event security 72 hours prior to the event. Failure to do so will result in the Event Coordinator being responsible for full payment to the security officers at the Police Department's established minimum rate. 

Show All Answers

1. Who can I contact for help?
2. Do I need to submit a City special event permit application for my event?
3. When is my application due?
4. How do I hold an event within a facility owned and maintained by the Durham Parks and Recreation?
5. When do I need security or police presence at my event?
6. How do I request to use City trash receptacles?
7. What is the SERT and why am I being asked to attend their meeting?
8. How do I register or operate a food truck in the City?