Excerpted from the Watts-Hillandale Historic District Preservation Plan: "In 1913, two separate development companies, the West End Land Company, and Durham Loan and Trust Company, purchased tracts of the Hester Property and created the lots along Club Boulevard, Englewood Avenue, and the intersecting streets. The West End Land Company subdivided “Club Acres” along Club Boulevard between the hospital and Hillandale Road. Their original subdivision plat shows 105 lots, generally 75 feet wide and 396 feet deep. In the center, the low-lying creek bed is set off as a park, with a meandering street called “Park Way” bordering the park. The intersecting streets of Ninth Street, Carolina Avenue, Park Way (now Oval Drive and Oakland Avenue), Virginia Avenue, Alabama Avenue, and Hester Avenue (now Georgia Avenue) are included in the subdivision."